Saturday, November 3, 2007

Can I get a re-do

Last week I talked about what I would not change. But there were a few thing that I would have loved to have a do-over on.
1. Guest pictures. I really wish I would have had our photographer take photos of each table at the reception. I can remember most people that were there but, a handful of people I cannot for sure remember.
2. People in my dressing suite. I really wish I would have set better boundaries for who I had coming into my bridal room. It was chaos at some points. Finally I had one of my bridesmaids ask everyone to leave. If I could do it over again it would have been just me and my bridal party.
3. Make up touch up. I don’t know how this slipped past me but I wish I would have remembered to reapply my lipstick before I started my formal pictures. I was wearing a long lasting lip color but the color was much more vibrant in pre-ceremony pictures. Have one of your BM carry your lipstick with them. Trust me you will be too excited and you will forget to reapply.
4. Rethink inviting “crazy” relatives. While I am not saying I wouldn’t invite them. What I am saying is that I would have had better “just in case” plans set up. If you have a family member or a friend that you really want to be included in your special day have a plan for anything that may come up with them.
5. Plan for the gifts. I knew we want to take the gifts home with us, I just didn't plan for so many or for the larger packages. If I would have thought about it we would have either cleared out the car better or had my family take them home and we would have just gotten them the next day.
6. OK this one isn't really a wedding day lesson learned but a pre-wedding redo. Go dress shopping the first time alone. WHAT?!?! I know this sounds crazy! But I took friends the first 2 times. Then after that I went alone. It allowed me to really figure out what I liked. Friends and family will ohhhh and ahhhh at many of the dress you try on or they may just tell you how much that dress sucks. Either way you cannot listen to your inner voice with everyone else putting in their two cents. Now all that said, I still wouldn't change getting my "most
important" family and friends to help me narrow down my choices to my final pick.
7. Practice dancing. Sure I jumped up and down, twirl led and swayed in my dress. But I didn't practice dancing in it. So before the big day just try a few of your moves out in your dress just to be sure you can move the way you want on your dance floor.
8. The night before I think I got 4 or 5 hours of sleep. Luckily I was so excited on the wedding day that I wasn't dragging around the next day. But I know it can really put some brides in a bad mood. I didn't sleep in my normal bed that night so between the excitement and unfamiliar surroundings I was wide awake. Figure out what you should do just in case you cannot sleep the night before. I wouldn't suggest sleep pills but maybe some soothing tea, a warm bath or bring a book. DON'T DO MORE WEDDING PROJECTS. The idea is to get some sleep not keep going.
9. Have a place for the kids. The kids in my bridal party were next door to my dressing room. Overall it was fine. Until they reached the 1 hour mark. I think I would have had a few other locations (away from me) for them to run wild and free.
10. Don't sweat the small stuff. Overall I didn't worry about anything all day. But when I did it was normally silly. Please relax, enjoy the day and enjoy the moments. You can fully relax on your honeymoon!

What suggestions would some of you offer to brides to be.

No comments: