Thursday, November 29, 2007

My new name

So about two weeks after we got married I changed my last name. I was happy to do so. Choosing to change or not to change your name is totally personal. Mr butterscotch didn't care one way or the other so it was all my choice. When I made the change officially at work it was a big to do. All my co-workers were confused by my email and who was this new person or my nickname (which was based on a combination of my first and last name) didn't flow as nicely anymore. So now I have been Mrs X for a little over 3 months. About a month ago I started a new job. Nobody at my new job knows my maiden name so there was no confusion for them. I was introduced to everyone as Leah X. In fact the first few days I was sick of hearing my name being said over and over again as I met everyone. And today my new business cards arrived. And there it was in black ink, I was Mrs X. Oh. Wow. I am officially Mrs X to everyone. The name that I have been known by for 29 years is gone.
Sure I still accidentally sign my maiden name on occasion but I just giggle and cross it out and write my married name. I love my new name but it is such a funny thing to have a name one day and a new one the next.
Are you or did you change your name? How long did it take for you to get totally use to it?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I still haven't gotten my "K" to flow, I always stop in the middle, and it's been two years -- not to mention the practicing I did before that :o)